Old trade and business directories give a fascinating snapshot of commercial and industrial activity in Cork. Excerpts from the following Trade Directories are available to download in pdf format. (Adobe Acrobat Reader required).
Slaters 1846 Commercial Directory (Cork Section) (2,891KB)
Guys 1895 Directory (3,364KB)
Guys 1945 Directory (3,984KB)
List of Street Traders and Stall Holders in Cork City, 1928 (65KB)
The List of Street Traders and Street Traders and Stall Holders in Cork City, 1928 (pdf) is transcribed from an archive file from the Town Clerk's Department, Cork Corporation, (now Cork City Council) (66KB)
Further trade directories and sources are available to consult at Cork City and County Archives and Cork City Library.
Merchant City Web Site Contents
The images on the Merchant City web site are mainly of documents and photographs held in the Cork City and County Archives. 2 items were loaned by Cork Public Museum and Crawford Art Gallery.
Items from the following CCCA collections were used:
- B111 Chillingworth & Levie
- B500 J.W. Dowden & Company
- B501 R.& H. Hall
- B505 Sunbeam Wolsey
- B507 Dwyer & Company
- BS522 Lawson & Company
- PR11 Clanchy Papers
- SM606 Healy Apprenticeship
- U5 Apprentices Fees
- U15 Cork Distilleries Company
- U15B Hewitt Papers
- U18 Beamish and Crawford
- U217 Cork Typographical Society Records
- U218 Cork Coopers Society
- U220 Cork Plumbers Society
- U259 Hare Letterbook
- U368 Blair’s Chemist
- U370 B. & I. Steampacket Company
- U399 Wilkie Collection
- U401 Cork Butter Market
To consult these and other sources about the Merchant City, contact the Archives.
‘Merchant City’ Select Bibliography
- Bielenberg, Andy, Cork’s Industrial Revolution 1780-1880: Development or Decline, 1991.
- Cadogan, Tim and Jeremiah Falvey, A Biographical Dictionary of Cork, 2006.
- Crowley, John, Robert Devoy, Denis Linehan and Patrick O’Flanagan, Atlas of Cork City, 2005.
- Dickson, David, Old World Colony: Cork and South Munster 1630-1830, 2005.
- Harrison, Richard S., Merchants, Mystics and Philanthropists: 350 years of Cork Quakers, 2006.
- Jefferies, Henry Alan, Cork: Historical Perspectives, 2004.
- Johnson, Gina, The Laneways of Medieval Cork, 2002.
- Leland, Mary, That Endless Adventure: A History of the Cork Harbour Commissioners, 2001.
- Murray, Peter, Illustrated Summary Catalogue of The Crawford Municipal Art Gallery, 1991.
- Murray, Peter, Maritime Paintings of Cork 1700-2000, 2005.
- Nicholson, David with Philip MacKeown, The Story of Woodford Bourne, 2005.
- ӠDrisceoil, Diarmuid and Donal ӠDrisceoil, The Murphy’s Story: The History of Lady’s Well Brewery, Cork, 1997.
- Phelan, Jack, Ferries of Cork, 1995.
- Rynne, Colin, At the Sign of the Cow: The Cork Butter Market: 1770-1924, 1998.
- Rynne, Colin, The Industrial Archaeology of Cork City and its Environs, 1999.